Flaxseeds are not a new plant. Your ancestor used to include it in the food. But just because they found it worthy. But today, after research and study Science and medical fraternity gave a clear concept of flaxseed. Why it is very good food and should be used by all for better health? You will soon understand why did I choose strong topic health benefits of flaxseeds.
What is Flaxseeds? ( basic)
Flax (Linum usitatissimum), is a member of the genus Linum in the family Linaceae. It has others name too common flax or linseed. It is cultivated for food and crop mostly in cooler parts of the world. Linen is a very famous fabric made from flax.
Flaxseeds have mainly two basic varieties, Which could be identified color wise brown and yellow. Most types of these basic varieties are similar in quality and nutrition value. But Solin is a type of yellow varieties which has very little omega-3’s it is an exception.
One of the oldest oil known as linseed or flaxseeds oil is made from flaxseeds. In India, flaxseeds, also known as tisi or alsi and javas in Marathi. Flaxseeds are considered to be the most powerful food plant.
Nutrition Value of Flaxseeds :
One tablespoon of ground flaxseeds contains the following
- Calories: 37
- Protein: 1.3 grams
- Carbs: 2 grams
- Fiber: 1.9 grams
- Total fat: 3 grams
- Saturated fat: 0.3 grams
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.5 grams
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.0 grams
- Omega-3 fatty acids: 1,597 mg
- Vitamin B1: 8% of the RDI
- Vitamin B6: 2% of the RDI
- Folate: 2% of the RDI
- Calcium: 2% of the RDI
- Iron: 2% of the RDI
- Magnesium: 7% of the RDI
- Phosphorus: 4% of the RDI
- Potassium: 2% of the RDI
Why Flaxseeds is called Superfood? (strong quality)
Omega-3 essential fatty acids, “good” fats that are very crucial for a healthy heart. It is found in three forms EPA, DHA and ALA. ALA (alpha-linolenic acid ) is found in plants like walnut or flaxseeds. Surprisingly flaxseeds have a rich amount of ALA .1 tablespoon has approx. 1600 mg of ALA.
Lignans, that has several biological effects, including antitumor and antioxidant activities. Flaxseed has much more lignans than other plant foods approx 70 to 800 times flaxseed contains both fibers the soluble and insoluble types.
Also read about
Health benefits of flaxseeds :
- Recent studies have advised that flaxseed may have a protecting effect against many types of cancer like prostate, colon and breast cancer due to its two component Omega-3 essential fatty acids and lignans.
- Flaxseed may keep your cholesterol level normal if eaten regularly. Bad cholesterol may lead to many fatal diseases in you like increased risk of heart disease, obesity, diabetes, and metabolic syndrome.
- A recent study shows ALA plant based omega-3s help cardiovascular system function well.
- Regular consumption of flaxseed may lower your blood pressure.
- Experts in diabetes also confirmed lignans in flaxseeds are helpful in improving blood sugar but the result may vary patient to patient.
- The rich fiber in flaxseeds also helps to cure constipation and other bowl-related complication.
How much you should take daily: less than 50 gm
Precaution: Must consult your family doctor before taking its supplement if you have a chronic problem or taking any medicine.
Conclusion: Flaxseeds should be included in your food., after knowing flaxseeds amazing benefits.
Follow us on social media